2016 Provincial Team
The 2016 season will be the 3rd year of the Canada Games cycle, building to the Canada Summer Games taking place in Winnipeg MB July 2017. The competitive season will primarily focus on the development of young cyclists in the province who are seen as potential Canada Games athletes. Canada Games are the key gauge by which the ABA is measured by the Alberta Sport Connection; resources targeted at athletes in the 16 to 22 age range also fulfills our role in Cycling Canada Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD), to develop athletes in the Train to Train, Learn to Compete, and Train to Compete stages.
2016 Provincial Team Events
Victoria Road Camp
December 27th to January 3rd
Burnaby Track Camp February 3rd to 7th
Victoria MTB Camp February 11th to 16th
Victoria MTB Canada Cup March 5th 2016
Junior Track National Championships April 1st to 3rd
Tour of Walla Walla April 21st to April 23rd
Para Defi Sportif April 28th to April 31st
Missoula Pro XC June 15th June 18th
Para Road National Championships June 25th to 28th
Junior Road Nationals Championships June 25th to 28th
Junior MTB Championships July 14th to 17th
Canada Summer Games Test Event August 20th
BMX National Championships August 26th to 28th
Para Track Nationals October TBD
Cyclo-Cross National Championships November TBD
ABA Provincial Team policies for all teams
• To be eligible for selection, athletes must be licensed members of the Alberta Bicycle Association, and must carry the designation Canadian on their licenses. (Some exceptions may apply.)
• If a selected rider refuses his or her position on the Provincial Team, the Racing Committee may at their discretion choose to replace that rider; in the case that another rider is selected, the position will become a “Racing Committee Selection”.
• Projects are partially funded by the Alberta Bicycle Association; selected athletes are responsible to contribute a portion of the costs.
• Athletes are required to sign the Team Alberta Athlete Agreement prior to taking part in a project.
• Athletes must wear the Provincial Team uniform when competing for Team Alberta.
• Athletes must complete the UCI anti-doping education module "True Champion or Cheat" before taking part in any Provincial Team activities.
Athletes may be selected for doping control at any of the races listed above. It is the athlete’s responsibility to become familiar with doping control procedures, and the list of restricted and banned substances. Athletes should consult the Canadian Center for Ethics in Sport (http://www.cces.ca/) for information on restricted substances, therapeutic exemptions, and other doping control matters.
For details on specific selection criteria click on the provincial team project below:
2016 Provincial Team Selection Documents
Victoria Road Camp
Burnaby Track Camp
Victoria MTB Camp
Bear Mt MTB Canada Cup
Junior Track National Championships
Tour of Walla Walla
Para Defi Sportif
Missoula Pro XC
Para Road National Championships
Junior Road Nationals Championships
Junior MTB Championships
Canada Summer Games Test Event
Para Track Nationals
Cyclo-Cross National Championships
BMX Development Team(2017)