Mountain Bike Upgrading
Each member’s license will reflect one of the 24 CCA National XC Categories. Riders will be upgraded as follows:
1. U13 and U15 riders will be upgraded from Novice Youth to Sport Youth upon earning 30 Alberta Mountain Bike Cup points. Such riders may not, however, upgrade from their respective Sport Youth category.
2. U17 riders will be upgraded as follows:
2.1 Riders in the Novice Youth categories will be upgraded (to U17 Sport/Sport Youth) upon earning 30 Alberta Mountain Bike Cup (AMBC) points.
2.2 Riders in the Sport Youth categories will be upgraded (to U17 Expert/Senior Sport) upon earning 40 Alberta Mountain Bike Cup (AMBC) points.
2.3 U17 Experts (Men and Women) competing in the Senior Sport categories may not, however, upgrade to Senior Expert regardless of the number of points accumulated. U17 riders may accumulate AMBC points in the Sport category, but not upgrading points. Upgrading points will be awarded to the top-8 non-U17 riders in Sport races.
3. Riders in the Senior categories of Novice Men and Sport Men will be upgraded based on points:
3.1 Riders in the Senior Novice category may upgrade to Sport at their own discretion. An upgrade from Novice to Sport will be mandatory for any Senior Novice Male winning 1 race or reaching 2 podiums.
3.2 Riders in the Senior Sport category will be upgraded upon gaining 40 Alberta Mountain Bike Cup (AMBC) points.
4. Riders in the Senior Women’s categories and Senior Men’s Expert category will be upgraded on the basis of top-3 performances and average speed/lap-times. Riders must meet both of the following criteria:
a) One of the following combination of results: 2 wins or 1 win plus 2 other top-3 placings or 5 top-3 placings
b) Riders must demonstrate competitive ability in the higher category by achieving on at least two occasions an average speed or lap-time that would place them amongst the top two thirds of finishers in the next highest category for the men, and in the top three quarters of finisher in the next highest category for the women.
c) Senior Novice Women may upgrade to Sport at their own discretion. An upgrade from Novice to Sport will be mandatory for any Senior Novice Female who wins 1 race or reaches 2 podiums.
5. Junior and Master riders, competing in the Senior Men’s and Senior Women’s categories, will be automatically upgraded based on the above criteria.
6. Other XC upgrading policies
6.1 Riders may request a category downgrade – any downgrades will be made at the discretion of the Racing Committee.
6.2 Results from marathon events may not be used for upgrading.
6.3 Upgrading criteria may be met over the course of the current and previous Alberta Mountain Bike Cup seasons.
In most instances, riders will be upgraded upon achieving a specified number of Alberta Cup points.
a) Alberta Cup points may neither be transferred from one discipline to another, nor may they be carried from one category to another within a discipline.
b) All Canada Cups and BC Cups count for Schedule "B" upgrade points. It is incumbent on the rider to provide supporting documentation of these results to the ABA.
c) On occasion, the Racing Committee may grant temporary upgrades or downgrades to riders in order that they may compete for positions on the Alberta Provincial Team.
d) A rider wishing to compete in a category other than that listed on his or her license must obtain prior written permission from the Racing Committee. (Does not apply to riders aged 18-years and older competing in “Open” events.)