All you have to do is talk to people about how important it is to make Alberta better for biking. The key people to focus on are your elected officials, your employer, and government agencies. You can also start by just talking to your friends and family. If you get them excited about all the possibilities then they will start talking too and pretty soon the dominoes are falling.
Developing an Issue
As you become involved in cycling advocacy, you will find issues you want to pursue. The biggest stumbling block is often figuring out how to start. Developing a plan is easier if you break the task into components:
- What is the specific issue?
- What insights do Recreation & Transportation Committee priorities, policies & position give about this issue?
- What is the ultimate goal?
- What resources are available?
- Who has an interest in this area?
- Who can I contact and work with to achieve my goal?
We encourage members and interested individuals to pursue issues. However, unless you are reiterating well established policy, it is important that all communications (particularly letters) are coordinated with the Recreation & Transportation committee.